Monday, August 10, 2009

An Offer I Couldn't Refuse

After the overwhelming excitement of the kiddie roller coaster, the merry-go-round, and the ferris wheel, it was time for a more manly quest: the batting cages. I recently attended a family party at Tuscora Park, which is full of nice playgrounds, a few rides, and of course, the batting cages. With every revolution of the twirly swings, my brother, Eric and I were longing more and more to go take some real swings. We each had an embarrassing round or two before we got our timing down and really started hitting. While Eric was hitting in the 35-40 mph cage (the slowest one), a guy stepped out of the next cage down and said to me, "you can hit the rest of these pitches, I'm done." Free swings? I couldn't refuse. I soon realized these pitches were much more than I could handle. It was the 80-85 mph cage. They were coming fast and furious. Not once did I even make contact... in fact, not even close. It gave me much more sympathy for pro players when they strike out, and much more appreciation for them when they hit it well. I guess that's why I make the big bucks as a pastor and not a baseball player. "Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud." Prov. 16:19

No comments:

Post a Comment