Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Galatians 5:18


"If ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law." - Gal. 5:18

When we use the word "if," there is normally some degree of uncertainty to our reasoning. "If" usually implies that something might happen, but it might not. To my boys I might say, "if you eat all your vegetables, I'll let you have some gum." The choice is up to them whether they receive their coveted treat. Imagine this scenario: I spy the boys secretly sneaking gum out of the cupboard after they did not eat their vegetables. From the other room I call, "If you are getting a piece of gum, you're busted!" In this situation, there is no condition. The scenario has no uncertainty: I saw them and they are busted, even though I used the typically uncertain word "if." In Galatians 5:18, this is exactly the usage of "if." Paul says, "If ye be led of the Spirit..." This Greek form of "if" actually shows certainty. It could be stated, "If ye be led by the Spirit (and you are), then ye are not under the law." So what's the point? As a believer in Christ, I am led by the Spirit, and am free from the cage of the Old Testament law. The law was and is very good. But all of it was fulfilled in Jesus. I would demonstrate an "iffy" faith in Christ should I enslave myself to the law after salvation. This verse takes my mind back to Gal. 5:1 - "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entagled again with the yoke of bondage." We can sure look "externally spiritual" if we follow some list of rules and regulations for life. Remember, we are not saved on the inside by being good on the outside. But rather, since I am saved on the inside, I am also free on the outside: Free to follow God's Spirit. "God, I could never do enough good things to be saved. I can never do enough good things to keep myself saved. Thank you for saving me and keeping me saved! Help me to stay of prideful external spirituality. Lead my by Your Spirit today."

No comments:

Post a Comment