Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dawg-Gone Disappointment

The profanity was profuse, the beer was flowing, and the deafening boos rang out. Welcome to Cleveland Browns Stadium. Of these activities, I participated in only one - the occasional "boo" of disapproval. It was my first NFL game, and I won't soon forget it. Monday Night Football. National TV audience. As predicted, the hopeful anticipation of the first half soon turned to dismal embarrassment. Final score: Ravens 16, Browns 0. I'm pretty sure that I was more entertained by the insane fans than the game itself. Clevelanders passionately love their Brownies. They also love having no leg room, sitting in the personal space of their neighbors, waiting 25 minutes for a piece of expensive pizza and coffee, and paying $25 to park. Amid all of the inconveniences (including the horrible team), thousands of those people live for evenings like that. In a joyless world of debt, stress, and frustration, people everywhere long for something to bring happiness and fulfillment to life. By the end of the 3rd quarter, tens of thousands of angry, disappointed, and drunk fans hit the exits like cattle being herded towards greener pasture. I actually felt bad for them. Not that their team is so horrible... I felt bad that so many lives are lacking true fulfillment. Sure, I left disappointed too, but I actually looked forward to getting up and going to work on Tuesday. I get to serve God. I am genuinely fulfilled in life because of my relationship with Him. I hope you know Him in a personal way and are finding true fulfillment in life by following Jesus. "But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Jesus Christ my Lord." Philippians 3:7-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment